Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sunnyside Camp 2013, part 4: The God of small things

I again had the wonderful privilege of running a sketching class this year at Sunnyside Camp. In planning some exercises, I did a few preparatory sketches that forced me to limit my scope and focus on a small, "generic" area, 1 square metre. As children, we are so aware of how much life and diversity exists even at the foot of a tree, but most of us (myself included) no longer take the time to appreciate this. As I sketched, the words of this hymn from my childhood came back to me:
"All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens,
Each little bird that sings,
He made their glowing colours,
He made their tiny wings.

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all."
Perhaps at some point in my life, the act of sketching will become too tedious -- a distraction and an encumbrance -- to the simple process of discovering and admiring God's presence and giving Him glory... but for the time being, it's a gift that gets me on the right track towards "seeing".

As the last verse goes:

"He gave us eyes to see them,
And lips that we might tell,
How great is God Almighty,
Who has made all things well."




No comments:

Post a Comment